Indiana's Slippery Noodle Inn: More Than a Bar and Grille
Associated Content By Lu Baker, published Mar 15, 2007
History from slipperynoodle.com
The Slippery Noodle Inn, 372 S. Meridian St., Indianapolis, was originally founded in 1850 as the Tremont House. It is Indiana's oldest, continually operated bar in the original building. The Noodle is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Originally it was a roadhouse (predecessor to the Holiday Inn) and a bar. It has traditionally been owned by people of German decent and it was one of the first German clubs in Indianapolis. The Noodle has been through several name changes over the years. In the 1860's the name was changed to the Concordia House. This name came from the first German Lutheran immigrant ship to land in the new world (the Concord). As a side note, there is a cemetery on south Meridian Street named Concordia.
In later years, the name was changed to the Germania House. It remained the Germania House until the start of World War I at which time German associations were to be avoided so the owner, Louis Beck, changed the name to Beck's Saloon. Prior to Prohibition, Walter Moore purchased the saloon and named it Moore's Beer Tavern. During Prohibition it was renamed Moore's Restaurant (although beer was still made in the basement.) After Prohibition ended in 1935, it was renamed Moore's Beer Tavern. In the late 1940’s Boris Petercheff purchased the saloon. Another side note, Boris’s son piloted the helicopter for President Lyndon B. Johnson when he came to town for the ground breaking of the downtown Post Office. He was killed shortly thereafter while test piloting an experimental jet. Boris ran the tavern until early 1963 when Emelia Finehout, the property owner took over. She found out all too quickly that she did not enjoy running a tavern, and promptly put the business up for sale.
Harold and Lorean Yeagy (Hal’s parents) bought the bar in late 1963, taking final possession on December, Friday the 13th. Hal took over the bar in 1985 after his father's death and since that time it has grown from a one room lunch counter into the Midwest's premiere blues club.
The "Inn" has been used in all types of activities. In the Civil War years it was a way station for the Underground Railroad. Later years saw a bordello open in the once luxurious Inn. It remained open until 1953 when a patron was killed. Two customers of the bordello got into an argument over one of the women, one killing the other and leaving the bloody knife on the bar. During Prohibition the Brady & Dillinger gangs used the building in back, originally built as a horse stable for the Inn, for target practice. Several of the slugs remain embedded in the lower east wall. In addition to liquor and beer being distilled in the building, cattle and swine were slaughtered and butchered in the basement. The meat hooks and water lines can still be found in the basement.
Legend has it that a narrow passageway through the basement served as a link to freedom for people fleeing slavery via Underground Railroad. The Indiana Freedom Trail Association researches and confirms Underground Railroads sites.
On the second floor, the old rooms that used to be for guests of the hotel and later for brothel customers now serve as offices and storage for The Slippery Noodle Inn. Workers and paranormal researchers alike have experienced unexplained phenomena in this area. Activity has varied from cold spots, to unexplained noises and the sensation of being touched by unseen fingers to even a spectral woman appearing on the balcony to a witness on the first floor.
Some employees of the establishment claim to have seen an apparition of a tall black man in coveralls in the basement. At least one beer delivery driver refused to go into the basement for a time after witnessing the apparition for himself. People have also claimed to hear whispered voices in the basement when nobody is present to make the sounds. There is one alcove in particular from which the noise seems to emanate.